Thursday, December 09, 2004

R&B Ballads - #12

#12

Shai - If I Ever Fall In Love

1992

Very next time she will be my friend, someone who I can believe in

Woo-hoo!: This song doubles its pleasure with two versions. The one that I prefer is the first version: an acapella. These guys can really sing, and it shows because they harmonize all the way to the bank. The second version isn't bad either. And definite bonus points to the guy speaking during the second non-acapella version. Well played, Shai.

D'oh!: The second version has a really, really slow beat which kind of puts me to sleep. I know they're not expected to fly through the song, but a little haste would've been appreciated. There's also an annoying part in both versions where one of the guys sings the word "friend" in such a high tone, that it shatters human ear drums and dogs come running. Talk about a soprano.

The Deal: I think the title of this song is misleading. It sounds like the author has never fallen in love before and is going to tell us what he would do if he were to fall in love in the future. But in fact, it is clearly stated that he has fallen in love before (to the woman to which this song is addressed) and he ends up telling us what he would do differently in the future.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You 100% positive you got the title right? If you did, I agree. And for the confusion they caused, they should never have another hit again. Oh wait........

Haha, all kidding aside, great song, a cappella or not. I dunno why but it's a very good song......can't say this enough.....but reminds me of a good era for "popular" R&B. Unlike today.........which sucks. "My Boo" by Usher and Alicia Keys (circa 2004); more like "MY POO OF A SONG".

December 13, 2004 at 7:46:00 PM EST  
Blogger GoldenGeneration said...

I think Shai did have another hit. I actually have the single at home. Come With Me is the title I believe. Might've had a chance to make this list, but alas, it was not on my computer.

As for My Boo, I like it. I think you're being too nostalgic. Remember the good ol days?

December 14, 2004 at 12:20:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home