Thursday, November 18, 2004

R&B Ballads - #15

#15

Blackstreet - Before I Let You Go

1994

True love is so hard to find, and it's right between your lips and mine...and mine

Woo-hoo!: Horns! Yeah, horns! I'm not very good at naming instruments, but this horn (trumpet, saxamaphone, elephant?) they've got in there is pretty sweet. It's a good little sound and what makes it extra good is that they don't use it too often. It's one of those sounds that if you heard more than a few times it would start to get annoying. Props to the ending too; kinda reminds me of something you might here at a concert in the 1950s.

D'oh!: For the most part, I dislike choruses. First of all, who decided that every song needs a chorus? That's why when I hear a song sans chorus, I immediately give it originality points. The problem with this song is that the chorus (like many of its brothers) suffers from repetition. The same thing is repeated four times. Considering that a chorus is a repetition in the first place, this makes me mad.

The Deal: I also like the line in the song when he says "It's always the litte things I remember and I can't just let slip away...slip away." Odd, cause we just learned today that I don't like choruses for their repetition. But I guess I like it when 2 words are repeated. You learn something new everyday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Blackstreet released one bad single during this mid to late '90's era. Come to think of it, they only had like 2 or 3 right?

No diggity.

November 26, 2004 at 4:32:00 PM EST  
Blogger GoldenGeneration said...

...No doubt.

Well, they had that song "Take Me There" from the Rugrats soundtrack that I'm not particularly fond of, but I didn't even really mind it at the time.

November 26, 2004 at 5:19:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhh yeah, Blinky Blink. I liked it enough to stop on a station if it were playing I think.

November 28, 2004 at 2:06:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home