Monday, October 04, 2004

R&B Ballads - #23

#23

Carl Thomas - I Wish

2000

But she still belongs to someone else

Woo-hoo!: This song has a nice little beat. Even someone like Barry circa 2000 could find the beat to this song with his eyes closed. Also, I have to mention the piano playing which is really good. I'm a total sucker for the piano (comes second only to the violin in my book) and I Wish plays the piano just like a musical instrument. Especially in the intro; real good set up for the entire song.

D'oh!: Way too much whining from Carl Thomas on this track. Check this out: She chose to stay at home / So they could be a family / For the children / But what about me?. What about you? Go tell your story to someone who cares! Geez. And his delivery in this song isn't that great either. I mean, he sings with some feeling because if there was none, it wouldn't be making this list, but it's mediocre at best.

The Deal: And what's up with his vocal exercises at the end of the song? Way too many people do this. I call it Whitney Houston-itis. Or maybe I should call it Mariah Carey-itis. Whatever it is, it makes me want to give him some Shut The Hell Up-itis. We don't care what kind of notes you can hit, buddy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh me oh my derek.....derek derek derek. You have chosen an excellent song. As a stand alone ballad (esque), it is slightly above average, but it brings back memories of Aldrich A400A, and that's always a plus in my book.

Why the multiple derek's at the beginning of this response? Cuz your review made me chuckle quite heartily. Shut up itis!!!! Mariah Carey itis!!! But shouldn't this affliction be renamed Christina Aguilera itis?

October 5, 2004 at 6:45:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home