Sunday, October 03, 2004

R&B Ballads - #24

#24

Boyz II Men - On Bended Knee

1995

Can you tell me how a perfect love goes wrong?

Woo-hoo!: This song is solid from top to bottom. Although the second half of the song far outshines the first half in my opinion. The turning point is when that deep-voiced guy (I think his name is Mike) does his thing. Anytime you get some deep voiced guy to say words (make sure he's just saying the words and not singing them) in a song, then you're gonna have a hit on your hands. Cap it off with that other guy from Boyz II Men (damn, I have to learn these guys' names) belting out how he's gonna swallow his pride and how I've got to believe in the spirit of love and you've got yourself a doozy of a song.

D'oh!: With all that juicy goodness going on in the Woo-hoo! section, why is this song rated so low? Glad you asked. It seems that Boyz II Men submitted an "irregular version" of their top hit to me in the rush to get consideration. (OK, it was really just that when I downloaded it back in the day, I got some funky version no one has ever heard of). So when I was ranking, I had it at #24 when I decided to download the normal version everyone knows and loves. I did, and it was really good, just as I remembered. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like moving anyone and upsetting the chemistry I had going on. Perhaps there's even another reason for it's apparent low ranking, but you'll have to wait and see.

The Deal: It was pretty difficult to pick out some signature lyrics to this song. Like I said, I liked Mike's talking part, but one of the other three's soul singing immediately following is really good too. I ended up picking that line from the chorus cause it's a good representation of the whole song. Well, other than "I'm down on bended knee", but I'd be pretty unoriginal to pick that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate this song. Barramel out.

October 3, 2004 at 10:24:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home