Thursday, September 30, 2004

Rules Established

Before debuting my list with #25, I think it would be a good idea to first set down some ground rules. I don't want disgruntled singers to come to my house with a vendetta because I didn't include their song. So here are the rules.

1) I must have a copy of the song on my computer. Otherwise, I won't be able judge the song. Artists have until September 29, 2004 at 11:59PM EST to submit their song. Any entries submitted after that time will not be considered.

2) Wikipedia defines a ballad as "a narrative, rhythmic saga of a past affair, which may be heroic, romantic or satirical, almost inevitably catastrophic, which is related in the third person, usually with foreshortened alternating four- and three-stress lines ('ballad meter') and simple repeating rhymes, and often with a refrain."

Yeah, I won't be using that definition. That's one of the reasons I say "ballad-ish" and "ballad-like". So I should give my own definition, but since that is too much work, I won't. I will say this. You don't have to be an R&B singer to be included, you just have to have that certain something (the ballad-ish-ness R&B vibe).

3) All decisions are final. So don't bother complaining (though feedback is always appreciated). There were some tough cuts that were made. Two songs that were good enough to be included, but did not epitomize the genre I was going for were "Put That Woman First" by Jaheim and "Suga Suga" by Baby Bash. After repeated listenings, I judged both songs as too upbeat to be included. Upbeat isn't really the right word, but maybe you will understand what I mean after seeing a few of my inclusions.

Finally, I've decided to go with a standard format for the 25 songs. The format will be as follows:

# (Ranking on the list)

Artist - Song

Year

Special Lyrics (Probably will end up being my favorite lyrics from the song)

Woo-hoo!: (Reasons why this song was included, why it is so high on the list, what's good about the song, etc.)

D'oh!: (Reasons why the song isn't higher on the list, what's wrong or annoying about the song, reasons to hate it, etc.)

The Deal: (Basically my random thoughts on the song. Warning: I could go anywhere with this. Might be just one word, or might be a rambling stream of ideas hardly relating to the song. You never know.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home