Tuesday, October 12, 2004

R&B Ballads - #20

#20

Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men - One Sweet Day

1995

And I know you're shining down on me from Heaven

Woo-hoo!: A good collaboration from these two entities. I don't know why, but it has always stuck in my head that either Boyz II Men or Mariah had the lyrics and the other person(s) had the music. [Sadly, this thought must be in a location of my brain that is heavily used because I think about it quite often]. And then they magically put the two together and it was perfect. Hard to believe, but they do mesh pretty well.

D'oh!: I get that nagging feeling that Mariah is trying to one up everyone in this song. I mean, there's 5 people in this song and she gets about 2/3 of the action. Wow, that sounds like some sort of veiled reference to an orgy, but trust me, it's really not. It's just that when someone else is singing, she still has to be singing in the background. Also, in case you never noticed, this song is about someone dying, which isn't a great topic for this list.

The Deal: On the magical putting together of this song (told you I think about it a lot), it seems weird that they would share. Like if I had some really good lyrics (which I might) I wouldn't tell some other artist about them. Not that I'd be afraid they would steal my stuff, but, I don't know. Just seems like a bad idea. I guess what I'm saying is that people shouldn't share. Unless it's with me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT SONG!!! Man, I gotta tell ya. When I first heard this song.........and heard it again and again and again. I had NO idea it was about someone dying. I figured "Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey = an uber love song". After all, that's what it sounds like.

Good ol' Mariah Carey-itis.

October 12, 2004 at 9:32:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home