Friday, October 15, 2004

R&B Ballads - #19

#19

Brian McKnight - Back at One

1999

Say farewell to the dark night, I see the coming of the sun

Woo-hoo!: I think Brian (not to be confused with Bryan) took us to school on this one. Starts off with that piano intro which lasts more than 30 seconds (a definite plus). Then he goes to some nice melodic singing which gets us into the mood. Finally, in the last verse he turns it up to max: "You threw out the lifeline, just in the nick of tiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIme". Then he brings it back down to the chorus before we outro with some strings (violin?). A love rollercoaster for sure.

D'oh!: There are times when I really like this song, and then other times where it just doesn't work. My hypothesis is that when this song hit its peak popularity (around Christmas time of 1999) affects how I view it. Like, it's a better winter song than it is a summer song. It actually makes me cold. Which you would think would make it good in the summer, but it doesn't work outside its natural wintery environment.

The Deal: The piano intro totally reminds me of a commercial for United Airlines. At least I think it was United. I searched Kazaa for it, but couldn't find it. Not that there are too many commercials on Kazaa anyways. I think it was with the "Fly the friendly skies" stuff. I'm too lazy to look up whether that was United right now. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Also, if someone was about to start learning to play the piano, they could probably use this intro to practice cause it is really slow paced. I'd like to hear that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. I have to disagree w/ you here.

This song blows. Blows so hard, it manages to suck too.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the whole counting thing? Is he counting down some sort of list or something? All the things he'll do to get in your pants, then if they dont' work, he'll just REPEAT them.

It's not even a song really. He didn't write lyrics, he made a list and set it to music.

*cue piano*

- Oooone.......I gotta buy some breeead
- Twooooo..........can't forget thaaaaa milk
- Threeeee........I neeeed some juuuice
- Fouuurrr..........do I need any fruuiit???

Let's hope the next song is better.......

November 26, 2004 at 4:27:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home